Thursday 8 January 2015

2015 | Change



We welcome change. Can you believe we're already 8 days into 2015 and I have yet to write a new article? Let's just say I wasn't ready. I wasn't ready to leave 2014 behind and begin planning for 2015. I wasn't ready to accept the rewards and responsibilities that this year will bring. Yep, I was latching on to 2014 with all of my strength. Weirdly enough, I haven't once thought that I was the type of person to ever oppose change. I think change is fun, exciting, exhilarating and now frightening. You see, I have all of these big plans for 2015 with no idea of how I am going to execute them. Some will jolt me back to reality and others will swish me right back into space. Today is the 8th of January, which means it took me 8 days to finally admit my fears but conquer them too, draw out my dreams and a way to execute them, and lastly let go of the extreme highs and lows of 2014. I felt weird, different and perhaps incapable. I can guess that most if not all of you had drawn out your hopes and aspirations for the following year before 2014 ended and on New Years day most people were in the mentality of "GO, GO, GO", while I just stood quite still to observe the craziness  whizzing around me. For the first time in a long time, I slowed down and I thought deeply and emotionally what I want to come out of 2015, ruling things out and drawing new themes. I took a break from social media and even stopped replying to messages because I needed that 'alone' time to think about myself. I can safely say these were the scariest and best 8 days of my life. Why?

It all starts with a dream. My dream has always been to be brave and bold in whatever I do. So when the opportunity came around to attend university abroad, I jumped on the bandwagon. I wanted to experience something new and much more different to the culture I was already embedded in. So far so good. There's something so serene and humble about Vancouver that makes you think twice. It jolted me out of my comfort zone. I could go on and on about the downsides of living far away from the city or the lack of personal style here but that is pointless when the ups triumph the downs. I have never in my life met such sociable people that you will find here in Canada. People genuinely want to talk to you and politeness for the most part seems to be a big thing here. You can find people to match all sides of your personality. 

Attending an elite business school such as Sauder, you'll find those who are extremely academic and competitive and, those who don't take themselves too seriously. You'll find the Vuitton, Gucci and Céline lovers but you'll also find the fast fashion lovers. I also get to meet people from all over the globe, can anyone say culture shock? I've conversed with people from Malaysia, Australia, Paris, New Zealand, Japan, California, Hong Kong, the Middle East, Singapore, Holland, Brussels, Sweden, Korea, China, Italy, Finland and of course the Vancouverians themselves. I've went to comedy shows and laughed my ass off, I've been to bars and had intellectual conversations about corrupt governments. It's day 8 and It's already been a whirlwind of experiences that I will never forget. 

Now before I can fully move on from 2014, I must acknowledge all of the good times and sad times that have made me strong enough to board the plane of crazy opportunities. At the start of 2014, I didn't really know where my blog was going. I just knew I was getting a lot of traffic and I was enjoying what I was doing; shooting lookbooks and mostly writing. This was, as cliched as it might  sound my 'creative outlet'. Diamants au chocolat (previously known as mizzmoi) was the first place where I felt like I could truly speak my mind with an audience of 6000 readers a month. I have a feeling you guys loved my honesty and consistency. Ask any blogger, It is quite draining to constantly come up with ideas and if I'm being honest I got lazy. There was a point where my interest in blogging slightly diminished because I started to feel like it was an obligation rather than a hobby. That's it- you guessed right, I was being childish. Of course It is an obligation. When you promise a group of people something and don't follow through, It's cruel and irresponsible. Let's just say I learned my lesson the first time around. This is something I want to do for the rest of my life, whether It ends up as a career or leads me to another career, I will always blog. There is something quite soothing about it and if I'm honest I never want to leave any of you hanging. 

The summer of 2014 was when I found my true passion again. I started doing photoshoots with Kamilė and it literally was the most fun thing I've ever done. As most of you know, I love dressing up and pretty pictures and frankly, there's nothing I'd rather be doing than being creative with outfits, thinking outside of the box and drawing up a story to follow. I really began to have fun and became obsessed with shooting and writing this Autumn/Winter. I didn't really want to do the things my peers were doing anymore, like going clubbing 24/7 and spending too much time recovering. I am ambitious and strongly believe that time is money. Some say chasing your dreams at a young age is not advised but then I think of Bill Gate, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, Beyoncé, Rihanna and more.  Then I think if I'm not chasing my dreams, then what on earth am I chasing? I've got to do something and there's nothing I want to do more than this right now because of the joy and excitement it brings me.

SO 2015, I feel ready. I feel excited and I finally feel no doubt or fear. There are a gazillion and one things that are going to be happening on this blog all at the same time but unfortunately, I cannot reveal all of my projects yet no matter how much I want to tell you. Keeping secrets eh? It's such a tough job. What I can tell you is that the first quarter of this year for Diamants is all about GROWTH and CHANGE. Yep, we're going to grow and change together. From simple things like being healthier and more active to crazy things like thinking outside of the box and nonconformity to society standards. I know in the past, I gave you advice on acceptable trends, what to wear on different occasions and basically the harsh words of your brutally honest older sister. Buttt now you guys have got wings and boy do you know how to fly. This year will be about innovation, creativity and excitement. I want you to be as bold and daring and most importantly I want you to take a step out of that comfort zone you're shielding yourself in. In Q1, we will analyse fashion houses, crazies like Miley Cyrus and literally everything the fashion world has to offer. I'm calling this quarter the prep. The prep to being bigger and better than ever before. We're going to shed 20lbs, take amazing selfies, explore outstanding places and learn about the fashion industry. And Q2? Let's just say you'll be surprised. One word: implementation. The only question now is are you ready to rule the world in your colour blocking, extremely tasteful but undoubtedly outstanding demeanour? That's right we aim for excellence so 2015, I guess I'm coming for you. 
















Share

4 comments:

  1. Please please please share away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A truly Lovely post, Change is truly good.
    Wish you excellence in 2015 xxx

    Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You looks gorgeous!
    Great job! ;) xoxo
    www.emmalovesfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. "It all starts with a dream"...yes my dear u r right!loved the white outfit btw!
    x Civil.A
    http://civila-houseoftherisingcivilaz.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete