Friday 11 September 2015

New York: The City That Fuels My Soul


(Img source: unknown)

So I'm sitting in a cafe (Starbucks but cafe just sounds better you know?) in Time Square, New York - at a shared table; sort of like what you see in libraries. There are strangers all around me - grad students studying, businessmen reading broadsheet newspapers or typing away on MacBooks and retired grown ups simply listening to music. Jazz is playing. A general mix of people and that's exactly what I like. 

How can something so simple feel so surreal? My heart is in my throat, this time beating twice as fast. My eyes hurt and I can only keep them half open but I don't care. I want to see everything, every minute of the day. Sleep is a foreign word to me, I don't know it. I don't want to know it. The unkept streets intrigue me, the skyscraper buildings confuse my mind. How can building be so tall? Is this real life? New York is a different world of its own - unique in its culture, presence and atmosphere. I don't want to leave...but I have to. It's the right thing to do.

On my trip here, I've learned how much more I still need to grow in order to be the person I crave to be. There's this feeling inside of me that screams 'I want to take over the world.' And I'm sure the 10 million people who live here all feel the same way. This city is drenched in ambition. The 24 hour hustle. 

If you're sleeping for more than 6 hours a day in New York, you're doing something wrong. I like that. I crave that. So far It's been 72 hours of all work and no sleep for me. 10 hours since I've last eaten a solid meal. Instead, my passion feeds me. It fuels my soul. If New Yorkers are fighting day and night to survive, to achieve something, to build something for themselves, then what the hell am I doing? I need to increase my level of commitment and strive for greatness.

In my eyes, from those who drag out the bins to those who own multi million dollar companies, everybody is a winner in New York. Because when they fall or take a wrong turn, they adjust and keep going no matter what. There's nothing more valuable than knowing how to survive in a world that is ready to tear you down.

I've always been an introvert at heart, meaning I work best when I am on my own. Not shy or awkward at social events but simply the preference of growing with no outside influences. I can think for myself clearly, my focus is static and my appetite for success is larger. On my own, I do what I need to do to turn my visions into something real.

And the craziest thing about being here? I came on my own... but I don't feel alone.
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment